[ENG] a 150 points raid Battle Report

Escenarios & Reportes De Batalla
Bawon Samdi

[ENG] a 150 points raid Battle Report

Post by Bawon Samdi » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:24 pm

Yesterday we tried the Raid format with two 150pts armies: Otokodate vs Sohei.
We didn't play with a scenario as we just wanted to learn the basic rules but we did use the command deck.

First, some preparation with two command decks, rules summary and units special rules

Then, the table. A 90x90 table with our brand new castle

Deployment:

The first turn sees the two shooting units trading bullets for arrows. When the smoke dissipates, only one archer and only one ronin survived. But not for long as the monk with teppo promptly dispose of him. Bloody.
Meanwhile troops take position in the castle.

Contact is made between the 3 samuraïs, the sohei leader and 10 warriors ! The Otokodate leader is waiting for an opening

The monk and his samuraïs perform well but wounds are piling up and the Otkodate leader swoops in and charge monk leader

The other samuraïs have a similar fate but manage to almost kill all the remaining soldiers. Finally, the horseman charge the remaining five monks.

He manages to kill or drive them out of the map but with only one wound left. The geisha was also wounded and only 2 ashigarus survived. So close ...
Otokodate wins !

That was fun. Game basics were easy to understand (despite few mistakes like forgeting the reroll granted by Faith !) The activation system and the command deck are two really good features. The opportunities to develop more detailed scenarios are promising.
But the wound system is clearly designed for battles of a much larger scale with far more soldiers. At 150 pts, your army may be decimated too quickly, IMHO.

ajmendoza

Re: [ENG] a 150 points raid Battle Report

Post by ajmendoza » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:42 am

OOOOOOOOOOOOOH my good! :D Such a beautiful table.

Thanks for testing it and sharing your thoughts.
About the wound system you are completely right.

I would not like to change it as long as I want it to remain closer to Kensei as possible. The first and easiest solution I though (and eventually I tested but It need more testing) is just add 1 extra wound to each profile (warriors 2, elite 3 and Heroes 4). I did not like it too much because warriors and elite are not far from each other with those wounds profile. But I think the game will gain a lot.

I will give it a try. If you try it as well, let me know how it was.

Anyway, I will add some scenarios for raid. I have been struggling with campaign rules and it consumed all my time.

I am going to share this post in the Kensei's social media. I love the table indeed. thank you very much!

Thanks thanks and thanks :)

Bawon Samdi

Post by Bawon Samdi » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:08 pm

ajmendoza wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:42 am
The first and easiest solution I though (and eventually I tested but It need more testing) is just add 1 extra wound to each profile (warriors 2, elite 3 and Heroes 4). I did not like it too much because warriors and elite are not far from each other with those wounds profile.
I don't think they are that close with the extra wound.
There is one big change in the Raid rule set:
Only miniatures in direct hand to hand combat can be selected as casualties during a hand to hand combat. Extra wounds are ignored.

Several times, my Elite Samuraïs and my hero dealt more wounds than necesseray to remove warriors they were directly combating. And each time successes in excess were lost. The other way around (unit of warriors doing more damage than necessary to kill an Elite or Hero) never happened.
Extra wounds to every one will make tougher Elite and Heros and there multiple success when in combat against warriors won't be lost.

ajmendoza

Post by ajmendoza » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:40 pm

Bawon Samdi wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:08 pm
Several times, my Elite Samuraïs and my hero dealt more wounds than necesseray to remove warriors they were directly combating. And each time successes in excess were lost. The other way around (unit of warriors doing more damage than necessary to kill an Elite or Hero) never happened.
That is a good point.

Next week I am going to be working hard on a series of video tutorials (finally!). Meanwhile I am working on the campaign rules and I am going to alternate with testing these raid system further.

You cheered me up :) Thanks