[ENG] Running kenseï demos ?

Cualquier tema relacionado con Kensei & Torii
Bawon Samdi

[ENG] Running kenseï demos ?

Post by Bawon Samdi » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:30 pm

I'm wondering what are your thougths about yhe best way to run a Kenseï demo.
A full smaller scale game like 200 points on a 90x90 ? Few units like the examples featured in the rulebook ?

Also what are the core mechanics we should focus on ? Obviously, the simultaneous activation system will be explained and used by players. War machines and Occult powers can be mentioned but i doubt that it would be usefull to let new players starts with that. But t's not always as clear cut.
For exemple, I think that the command deck cards is very interesting and should be used during a demo but the rules are described as an intermediate level so maybe it's too much for beginners ?

ajmendoza

Re: [ENG] Running kenseï demos ?

Post by ajmendoza » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:07 pm

Hello!

For our demos I usually use 250-300 army points games because usually I add a cavalry, but 200-250 points with 2-3 units per side is more than ok for a demo. The audience will catch the game system in just one turn (first turn), second turn should happen some charges in order to explain how player can loose activation orders when a troop reacts.

I mostly focus on turn sequence, activation and reaction orders/system and definitely included the command cards and how you can stole the turn initiative from your enemy. It makes the game quite better and strategic so it is a must to use. I also speaks a bit about the background and characteristics of the clan (kuge are noble samurai, sohei are monk, etc.) and I create a quick background behind the demo (this two armies are here because the local daimyo insulted the other daimyo spreading rumors about him... and that cannot be tolerated.. something like that). People thanks to be part of a bigger background instead of only learn the ruleset.

What I do not explain is: abilities and all those modifiers, weapon types, invocations (if the audience is very fond of it I explain it, but usually it is not the case), war machines.

I have to start the videossssss grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Bawon Samdi

Re: [ENG] Running kenseï demos ?

Post by Bawon Samdi » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:13 am

OK. Thank you for the input.