[ENG] Campaign system ?

Escenarios & Reportes De Batalla
Bawon Samdi

[ENG] Campaign system ?

Post by Bawon Samdi » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:22 pm

It seems that the Torii v2 printed rulebook includes a campaign system with XP.
Since the spanish rulebook had been released some time ago and I still have to wait several months before receiving the english one, I was wondering if anyone among the spanish players had opportunity to play with it ? Any first thoughts ?

ajmendoza

Re: [ENG] Campaign system ?

Post by ajmendoza » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:35 pm

We have tested it (you know I am the kensei guy, with Torii I am just a player) and it's simple but give what promise. Can play some weeks with no time preparation and gives that kind of depth and fun that players only with a campaign can have.

I hope you do not have to wait too much for it!.

Bawon Samdi

Post by Bawon Samdi » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:44 am

Thank you but that just sounds like standard PR talk to me. I need more "meat". :twisted:
What does the system do ? Every miniatures gains XP or only heroes ? Do you gain XP with kills ? Scenarios objectives ? What do you buy with XP ? How injuries or death are mamaged and carried on the next game ? How does it impact list building ? Does the book includes a ready to play campaign or just the rules to make one ?
No need to go into the details of tables and numbers but a quick review of how it is actually played would be much appreciated. :)

ajmendoza

Post by ajmendoza » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:29 am

Bawon Samdi wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:44 am
Thank you but that just sounds like standard PR talk to me. I need more "meat". :twisted:
What does the system do ? Every miniatures gains XP or only heroes ? Do you gain XP with kills ? Scenarios objectives ? What do you buy with XP ? How injuries or death are mamaged and carried on the next game ? How does it impact list building ? Does the book includes a ready to play campaign or just the rules to make one ?
No need to go into the details of tables and numbers but a quick review of how it is actually played would be much appreciated. :)
Hahaha Ok! fair enough.
I will take the book later and I will try to do a summary about the system :).

ajmendoza

Post by ajmendoza » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:33 pm

@Bawon Samdi Here I am.

A super brief from the Spanish Book (I am reading and translating in real time, I had no time to read the Torii system properly xD):

Two or more players can play a campaign. We all know what a campaign means. At the beginning every player must build his 100 points band as usual, but we rename points to "zenits" (ancient Japanese coins). So, every player starts with 100 zenits and must build the band using it. A player keep any zenit that has not been spent. That means if you use 95 zenits to build your army, keep those 5 to be used later.

Obviously the cost of the miniature in points is the same cost of the miniature in zenits.

Like any campaign you write down your initial band and things can happen during the battles. A miniature can be wounded, can die, can be replaced for another one, etc.

There is a campaign map generator. The map will be made of hexagon and many of those hexagons is of an specific type: Castle, villaje, Dojo, temple, port, market, forest, etc... Each of those types have a maintenance cost and generate some benefits to the owner.

The Players decide the number of rounds to be played.

Has been created a "weather rules" for the campaign battles (day, night, cloudy, rainy, etc).

After the map generation the campaign starts. Each player control 1 hexagon at the beginning of the campaign. During the campaign players must select a new hexagon that will belong to that player. A player can declare an attack over another player's hexagon if it is in contact with one of the attacker's hexagon. A campaign game have these phases:

1) Scenery phase: The the scenery on the table
2) Select mission: standard rules
3) Weather: die roll to know if it is sunny, rainy, etc.
4) Deployment phase: the common deployment
5) Game phase: finally play the game
6) Wound phase: When the game is done roll some dice in order to know what happened with ko miniatures. (nothing happened, -1 HO, -1 ATA, completely dead, etc..)
7) Improvement phase: Calculate experience points of each miniature and improve your troops. Then Buy new equipment, wariors, etc.

The winner conquer the enemy hexagon and this round is done. After every game has been played the campaign steps to the next round. Players must declare new attacks and this sequence starts again.

And this is basically the system very briefly explained.
Do you need to know something more specific?

:D

Nick B

Post by Nick B » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:06 am

Thanks for this. Will there be a campaign system in Kensei?

ajmendoza

Post by ajmendoza » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:55 am

Nick B wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:06 am
Thanks for this. Will there be a campaign system in Kensei?
Sure. This will be not added in the printed rulebook (too many pages) but as a separated free pdf and, hopefully, like a separated printed book with scenarios and a good background of the campaign.

The Kensei campaign system will be focused in great battles, army and clan/family improvements, and your story as commander instead of a character base campaign.

Anyway we will share many of the Torii concepts and will be able to play both system (which is the great idea of this new edition). The first campaign round a small group of ninjas break into the temple and burn the library where monks have a paper where the local Daimyo sign they will inherit his land in few years ahead (Torii game). So, next round, the monks seek revenge because they know the son of the old Daimyo hired those ninjas. They build an army and cross the border of the daimyo's son land, who is quickly setting his army . Close to his house, both armies encounter and fight for the future of that place... (Kensei game).. and so on.

So, the short answer is YES, kensei will have a campaign system :).

Nick B

Post by Nick B » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:36 pm

Great news - many thanks

PascalH

Post by PascalH » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:41 pm

Sounds great! Thanks for the Info!
Hope to see some tournaments with cool campaigns and storys! Can't wait for this!

Bawon Samdi

Post by Bawon Samdi » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:59 pm

Thank you very much for all these infos.

tanath

Post by tanath » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:30 am

I had seen the Torri campaign notes and small pics released on the FB group, but had no ideas of the details.

Thanks Antonio for taking the time to share the info on it :)

Really excited to see how in depth the Kensei campaign rules will be in the future.
Miyamoto Musashi: "Generally speaking, the Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death".

ajmendoza

Post by ajmendoza » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:22 pm

tanath wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:30 am
Really excited to see how in depth the Kensei campaign rules will be in the future.
As long as Kensei is a more demanding game. The kind of player that would finally get into kensei is that one that really want a battle system, manage many miniatures and spend hours and hours with this more-expensive game.

So my thought is to make the campaign system "simple" but quite deep. Actually, when I presented the first notes for the campaign system he said: "Antonio, maybe this is too much, this is an actual boardgame" hehehe.

When the book is done, this will be the next rules to develop alongside wako and namban armies :).