[ENG] Torii campaign WIP

Escenarios & Reportes De Batalla
Bawon Samdi

[ENG] Torii campaign WIP

Post by Bawon Samdi » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:43 pm

There is already a campaign system in the Torii book but i'm looking for a more narrative approach. Something to link each scenario more than conquer the next area on the map. :ugeek:

Since I really like the bridge between Torii and Kenseï, I thought that it would be interresting to set the campaign in the context of an incoming big battle. Each skirmishes would be smaller conflicts happening in preparation of the main event. For players having Kenseï, it's then possible to play the final battle itself, including various special bonus or malus depending of the results of previous skirmishes.
If you don't want to play the big battle, just add-up the total number VP scored during scenarios to find who the winner is.

First, players must decide who is the Attacker and who is the Defender. Depending of his/her role, each players will have slightly different objectives. There are two reasons for this: first i find asymetric conflicts more interesting and natural, second it adds some replay value as players can play the campaign a second time while switching roles. The campaign could be played with any human faction but If a player picks a Kuroi-Te army, it may require some adjustments.

Basically, each campaign scenario is mainly based on a Torii scenario from the rulebook with an introductory flavor text, fixed secondary objectives (no need to roll) and some special rules to fit the fluff. If you choose to play the final battle, there are also some consequences for the attacker and the defender depending of the outcome of the scenario. Unless it's specified under special rules, you can roll for weather and time of the day as you wish. Primary objective are common, secondary objectives are differents fixed for the Attacker and the Defender.

The flavor text at the beginning of each scenario suggest that they should be played in a certain order but it's actually up to you as nothing link them rulewise. On top of that, I guess you can use Torii's campaign system (p47) with experience, wounds tracking and recruitment but I didn't put to much thoughts into it so proceed with caution. ;)

For the final battle, you could play any scenario but I strongly suggest the use of an attacker/defender kind of set up like Break the Front, Supply Line and Defend the Village. Besieged (p149) seems particularly appropriate.

BTW, it's 100% not tested and surely needs adjustments. Also, english is obviously not my native langage and the text is probably filled with errors. My only hope is that it doesn't mess up with the understanding of the rules.
So, for all these reasons feel free to comment and suggest improvements. :oops:

Recruitment
Each army is activelly working to be ready for the incoming battle. Either through scaring tactics or legitimate authority, both the attacker and the defender are trying to recruit local villagers to fill up their ranks. They may be untrained but they know the region and can provide supplies.

Scenario and main objective: Kidnapping Villagers (p38)
Secondary objective:
- Attacker: find the kensei (p39),
- Defender: Fire (p41).
Scenery: 4 villagers and 3 wells
Special: the Defender replaces one house by a High Value Objective (ex: rice store, taiko, taiho yohin, ...). This HVO must be placed in contact with the central line seperating each player's half of the table. Burning the HVO as the Attacker's secondary objective worth +2VP. Wells secured by the Defender worth 2VP each.
Effect on the final Battle (both players): only once per round, when the winner activate a Kuro unit, draw a command card.

A matter of faith
The attacker is closing in and, while arrows may have not started to fly, the psychological warfare has already begun.
Faith can be the glue that hold people together, especially in desperate time, and the Defender tries to save a maximum of relics related to his/her belief while the Attacker tries to crush any glimmer of hope.

Scenario and main objective: Recover sacred relics (p38)
Secondary objective:
- Attacker: Hostage (p37),
- Defender: Expel the enemy (p40)
Scenery: 4 relic markers
Special: the hostage captured by the Attacker worth +2VP if it's an elite or hero. Each relic secured by the Defender worth +1VP.
Effect on the final Battle:
- Attacker wins: choose one Attacker's unit who gains the Hatred of "Defender's clan" (PA) ability until the end of the battle,
- Defender wins: choose one Defender's unit who gains the Faith (PA) ability until the end of the battle or the Brave (PA) ability if members of this unit already have Faith.

Harass & recon
It's the night before the final battle. In the outskirts of the defender positions, under the light of few burning houses, attacker's scouts try to gain the latest informations about the enemy's defence lines while attacking careless soldiers who patrol outside fortified walls. In the meantime, the defender is looking for enemy soldiers whose freshly severed heads would make a nice addition to the barricades.

Scenario and main objective: Annihilation (p41)
Secondary objective:
- Attacker: spies (p44),
- Defender: barricades (p45)
Scenery: 3 spies disguised as villagers, markers or scenery elements that mark the barricades, 2 fire or lamp markers
Special: Each secondary objective worth 4 VP. Use night rules p49 but players deploy only one fire/lamp marker each.
Effect on the final Battle:
- Attacker wins: the defender can't use Taketabe,
- Defender wins: defender gains two Taketabe.

Ikki-uchi
The big day has finally arrived. On both sides, lacquered armors are shining in the morning sun as troops take their assigned position on the battlefield. But before the clash of armies each side takes time to demonstrate its strengths and to mock the ennemy. It eventually leads to challenges, duels and daring actions.

Scenario and main objective: Hunting the Leader (p40)
Secondary objective:
- Attacker: bombing (p42),
- Defender: nobori (p43).
Scenery: three noboris
Special: This scenario is played during dawn. Each band must includes two heroes, one mounted hero max. Mounted heroes can only challenge other mounted heroes. Challenges can't be refused and hero's wound resulting from a challenge do not trigger Honor Checks. During the deployment phase, each player places a non-mounted hero at 10cm from the center of the table. Heroes killed by another hero worth +2VP. The Defender is the only player to places his opponent's noboris.
Effect on the final Battle (both): during the first battle's turn only, the winner of the ikki-uchi automatically wins the Initiative while the loser draw one less Command Card.

Thank you.

ajmendoza

Re: [ENG] Torii campaign WIP

Post by ajmendoza » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:50 pm

I love it, amazing job!! Can I translate it for the spanish (lazy) community?

You know I am working on the kensei campaign battle (also suitable for torii of course) and I am strugling exactly with finding a good balance between narrative, exploration and strategy. I am month delayed!.

Thanks for this, really appreciated!

Bawon Samdi

Post by Bawon Samdi » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:06 pm

Thank you very much.
Of course you can translate/share it but keep in mind that it's not tested yet. For exemple, I don't know if the changes i made keep scenarios balanced or not.

I can empathize for the kenseï campaign. It looks much more difficult to write than a skirmish campaign.

If that may help, I've recently read about the Miyajima and it strikes me as a great background for a short campaign:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Miyajima
Multiple fronts, building an alliance with local pirates, the whole island is a sacred ground where generals are reluctants to spoil with dead bodies (something that can be exploited in a fantasy setting with undead creatures), ...

ajmendoza

Post by ajmendoza » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:37 pm

Bawon Samdi wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:06 pm
If that may help, I've recently read about the Miyajima and it strikes me as a great background for a short campaign:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Miyajima
Multiple fronts, building an alliance with local pirates, the whole island is a sacred ground where generals are reluctants to spoil with dead bodies (something that can be exploited in a fantasy setting with undead creatures), ...
Thanks for the tip :) actually I already have a good narrative system based on a modified engel matrix + card driven event system, but the main problem is only one deck exists for all player and that forces player move to an specific place to take a new card (for a 2 players campaign is ok, but for several players it would turn into a mess). Once I solve that, i will release a beta.

Although these linked scenarios are a very good option for quick and fun campaigns. Tested or not are a really good initiative, thanksss!!